Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Sun Sep 24, 2000  2:35 am
Subject:  Re: Fw: [vocalist-temporary] vibrato

Hi all,

Some interesting advice on this vib question. I have
to disagree with Rachel on the palate issue. My palate
is certainly lowered if I breath through my nose.
However, why anybody would want to do so for singing
is quite beyond me?!?! I have to disagree with Mike
also, that if I hum, or give humming exercises to my
students, then I expect the palate to be raised. There
are two sorts of hum. A hum hum (I know that doesn't
make sense!) the sort you do when doing the hoovering,
and a singing hum where the position of the throat etc
is, or rather should be the same as singing a vowel.
That's what lots of people get wrong, and end up
honking like geese!!

I like the idea of the breath pressure issue: it makes
the most sense. Raising of or not raising of the soft
palate has absolutely nothing to do with vibrato in
any case.

I'd forgotten how marvellous this list was!!

Best to all.

Ian Voice wrecker to the stars!