Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Caio Rossi" <caioross@z...>
Date:  Sat Sep 23, 2000  10:55 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Indian and African songs from Villa-Lobos.

Marie-Claire wrote:

> Can anybody translate these Villa-Lobos songs? It will be very helpful for
> me. Thanks.

I'm Brazilian, as well as Villa Lobos :-), so maybe I can help you. The
first one is probably in tupi, the most widespread language spoken
by Brazilian indians ( when they were alive, of course! ). The second one
must be Ioruba, the language spoken by most African slaves sent to Brazil.
I've just sent an e-mail to the Villa Lobos Museum in Rio de Janeiro trying
to get what you want, since I couldn't find the translation you requested,
and will send you back whatever answer I get. Tell me if you still need it.

> 1 - NOZANI-NA (Canto dos indios Paricis da Serra do Norte - Mato Grosso):
it
> is a song from the Paricis Indians from Mato Grosso (Brazil):
>
> "Nozani na ore kua, kua,
> Kazaete, ete
> Nozani na ore kua, kua
> Nozani noterahan, rahan,
> Olo niti, niti, no terahan,
> kozetoza, toza,
> notera, tera,
> kenakia, kia, nee ena, ena
> Ualalo, lalo,
> girahalo, halo."
>
> 2 - XANGO (Canto fetiche de Makumba do Brasil): it is a fetishistic
African
> song from Brazil.
>
> "Xango! Ole gondile
> Olala!
> Gon gon gon gondila!
> Xango ole gondile
> Olele!
> Gon, gon, gon, gondile!"
>
> The only thing I know is that Xango is the name of an African God or idol
> but I am not sure about that.

Yes, Xango is an African god, so popular that most Brazilians know he exists
although African religions are not widely practiced in the major
metropolitan areas of the country anymore.

According to the info I got from a website, he's the Lord of Justice, a king
who's in charge of the administration and mainly justice, determining what's
right or wrong and is completely unbiased. He represents the authority among
the African deities. It doesn't mean he rules the other gods ( Orixas ),
since that doesn't exist among them ( according to the site ). All of them
seem to have balanced power, and none is more powerful than the others. Each
one is the most powerful in his/her area. He's represented by stones.

That's all I can do for you now. if you need any help in pronouncing
Portuguese I'm available ( I'd do anything to avoid what Kiri Te Kanawa did
with the Bachianas: she sang Portuguese as if she were singing in Italian.
Ridiculous! )

Bye,

Caio Rossi

emusic.com