Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Date:  Sat Sep 23, 2000  5:50 pm
Subject:  Re: Singing in ensemble

Chris Thomas wrote:

vtec> As far as making a living, choral singing isn't in my top 3 favorite
things
vtec> to do (those would be opera, teaching, concert work), but it helps pay
the
vtec> bills. And being a section leader has gotten me concert work and exposed
me
vtec> to literature with which I'd be unfamiliar otherwise!

I love concert/recital work, but most of the solo work I've done has
come either directly or indirectly as the result of a referral from
some sort of choral work I'd done, as Chris has said.

For me, choral singing is in my top three, but so is concert/recital
work. And, rather than my technique suffering from one or the other,
I've found that as I've been steadily improving in "cut" and "ring" as
a soloist, I've been able to blend more and more easily in the
choruses with less vocal fatigue and more stamina. Singing as a
soloist is musically challenging and thrilling for me, but no less so than
being part of a perfect, velvety chord as part of a professional a
cappella chorus (and I mean one where the singers can sing healthily,
with vibrato)! It's almost better than chocolate...

Vicki Bryant, mezzo-soprano
Naperville, IL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4551 Re: Singing in ensemble Mezzoid@a...   Sun  9/24/2000   2 KB
4565 Re: Singing in ensemble Mike & Vicki Bryant   Sun  9/24/2000   3 KB

emusic.com