Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  9:21 pm
Subject:  learning a role pointers

On Fri, 22 Sep 2000, David Grogan wrote:
> The bel canto teachers used messa di voce for all their students, not
> just the ones who were interested in choral music. I understand how
> difficult it is for young singers to sing softly, and still support
> the sound, but just because something is difficult should not scare us
> away from trying.

From what I understand, messa di voce was the *last* thing to cover,
because it is so easy to do badly unless everything else is truly in
place.

> Perhaps if the choir director could be convinced to occasionally
> remind the singers to support properly during soft singing, so that
> there is not a perceived difference of technique from choir to voice
> studio, then the students might achieve this faster.

Easier said than done! Most singers in an amateur choir can't support
properly on a loud note, let alone a soft one. I've heard a lot of choir
directors tell people to "support", and noone, including the director,
really knew what the term meant.

OF COURSE, there are exceptions, but they are few.

-Tako

emusic.com