Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  9:04 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] making money -- chorus vs. non-singing jobs

In a message dated 09/22/2000 2:28:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< Okay, I could waste that time singing in a chorus, and then have "blown"
my vocal study time for that day and not be able to practice my own
repertoire when I get home... or I could take a desk job, computer job,
high-tech job, during the day (which would probably pay more, even part-time)
and give those three hours to my practicing in the morning or when I get
home. >>

Well, I've done both, and in my experience, I haven't got the energy after
working the day job to practice. Usually choral rehearsals are in the
evening, and I've already practiced during the day, so I pace myself at
rehearsal accordingly.

And as far as money is concerned, I'd rather have less income and prioritize
my expenses and continue to work in my field. I've had more money with a day
job and as a result, more stuff ... and as a result, less time and energy to
give my singing.

But that's just me.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com