Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  9:06 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning a role pointers

Shawna said,

<<College students are *in* training, not fully trained- expecting them to understand
how to use proper technique under such extreme circumstances is naive at
best, and quite possibly destructive. Their voice teachers have to work
extra hard to make up for those things, and that seems like a waste of time
to me. Sheesh- why not have a "large-voice" chorus, that does larger works
(perhaps opera choruses in concert?!?!) that won't blow out a budding
Heldentenor?>>

Yes, but...training also should include learning how to sing softly, don't you think?  The bel canto teachers used messa di voce for all their students, not just the ones who were interested in choral music.  I understand how difficult it is for young singers to sing softly, and still support the sound, but just because something is difficult should not scare us away from trying.

Seems to me there needs to be an understanding between the choral directors and the voice teachers, so that everyone understands the difficulties involved in soft singing.  Perhaps if the choir director could be convinced to occasionally remind the singers to support properly during soft singing, so that there is not a perceived difference of technique from choir to voice studio, then the students might achieve this faster.

I know that my technique suffered mostly in choir, not because of the demands of the director, but because the one-on-one teaching was replaced by one-on-fifty.  In other words, I had to be my own teacher, and tell myself when I was using poor vocal technique.  Perhaps we should address these issues (of self-analysis) in our studios, so our students will be aware of those pitfalls.  Anyway, there is my $.02 worth.

David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4526 learning a role pointers Tako Oda   Fri  9/22/2000   2 KB

emusic.com