Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  8:32 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

> Isabelle, the SF Bay Area is FULL of opera
> companies. <snip>
> You'll hear small, well-rehearsed and
> talented choruses. Just
> might change your mind...

I think we agree -- the smaller choruses are better
(as choruses) to listen to (and WBO and SJO do have a
better choral sound than SF -- I have subscriptions to
all three). They are worse (if you are a trained
opera singer) to sing in, however, unless you want a
chorus career.

I'm not saying that you can't sing in a chorus with
good technique -- it's just *different* technique, and
won't serve you well in your training. Principles
have to have voices that will be heard through and
over a chorus -- totally different technical approach.
If I'm in training to become even a smaller-voiced
operatic singer, I want to TRY to have my voice stick
out in the chorus. I want you to hear my squillo and
brilliance from the midst of my 50 soprano
chorus-trained colleagues. That kind of singer
doesn't make for a great-sounding chorus, but it's the
only kind I would recommend soloists joining.

Isabelle B., on a rantin' roll today

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte