Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  8:02 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Opera vs. concert chorus

>From: "Ciro" <cirodaraujo@u...>

>>In operatic music you have to sing BY memory (oh and it is a lot harder to
>remember that THAT note takes 2 bars in an opera than when you have it
>written right in front of you), in languages that might not be familiar to
>you, worry about staging, worry about this wonderfull piece of scenery that
>might be exactly between where you are supposed to be and the line of sight
>to see the conductor

And it doesn't even have to be OPERA for this! I have the greatest respect
for the choristers in the production of "My Fair Lady" I was in last year.
The harmonies on the big chorus numbers (i.e. "Get Me to the Church on Time"
and "Ascot Gavotte") are TERRIBLY complicated, often written in six or more
parts... and these performers also had to think of the complicated
choreography. The Servants' Chorus numbers (in which I sang) are a bit
easier for music, but the small group meant that we all had to take full
responsibility for our music.

(The saying was that I counted as *two* on whatever part I sang.)

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse