Vocalist.org archive

From:  thomas mark montgomery <thomas8@t...>
Date:  Fri Sep 22, 2000  1:24 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning a role pointers

I have stayed out of this discussion (like I do most...lol) but I feel a
couple of points should be made here. Absolutely, a MUSIC STUDENT should
not be learning a role off a recording: if that is their only option,
they should not be doing the role, rather woodshedding their musical
skills. Also in relation to the opera chorus/choral program thread: (for
once, I'm going to disagree with Eva Zuber...and I always agree with
her ;) ) choral music programs do a lot toward helping young singers (who
more often than not are behind their instrumental counterparts in musical
skills--it is not a coincidence that most professional singers of the top
ranks were instrumentalists first) develop their music reading
skills. I'm sorry - as much as I love operatic music - the choral parts
in opera do not compare in musical complexity to the motets of Bach,
Brahms and Distler. If students are having trouble singing in choirs and
"blending", it is because of technical skills. If I had a dime for every
student who professes to have a technique, but can't sing a high note with
depth and core below a dynamic level of forte. I know the problems with
choral directors and their limited knowledge of vocal issues, but the buck
stops here at our doorsteps, fellow teachers. And as for soloists
skills, the great majority of vocalists are going to work with choirs in
their careers than be paid as vocal soloists.

I watch some of the threads here with a shake of the head and yet a
felling of sadness for singers who blame their vocal troubles on
everything from food allergies to physical ailments. You don't have to
sit through too many NATS auditions to realize that there are far too few
top-level vocal teachers in our universities. That is not a slap against
the earnestness of our vocal teachers - far from it. I think most voice
teachers are doing the best they can, but you cannot teach what you do not
know. Unfortuantely voice teaching cannot be learned from a book. It is
one of the last areas in which a teacher passes to an apprentice (read
pupil) the essence of a real technique. Do I have a
solution? Unfortunately, no, but I am saddened by the consistely mediocre
product being turned out by our colleges and universities, both musically
and vocally. OK, rant over.

Mark Montgomery

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4520 Re: learning a role pointers Shawna   Fri  9/22/2000   6 KB

emusic.com