Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 21, 2000  7:01 pm
Subject:  College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

On Thu, 21 Sep 2000, Margaret Harrison wrote:
> I agree in principle, though many opera choruses are quite simple
> musically and shouldn't merit ensemble credit by themselves (e.g.,
> Anvil Chorus), but I think exceptions would have to be made for the
> following:

There are so many exceptions, and new operas written all the time (often
with hellish ensemble parts), that I think it should be at the directors
discretion at "add/drop" time which roles if any should be considered for
ensemble credit. Trying to keep a comprehensive list of every role in
every opera truly would be an "administrative nightmare" :-) This is
especially true with cuts from semester to semester. A role that is
ensemble heavy one semester may not be in the next...

Tako

emusic.com