Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  10:03 pm
Subject:  College Ensemble Requirements: Choir vs. Opera

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000 LYNDA313@a... wrote:
> In a message dated 9/20/00 1:36:20 PM, toda@m... writes:
> << I agree it would be a challenge... But think of how awful it is for a
> student to not be able to get credit for an entire semester of work! >>
>
> The original poster did not say that there would be no credit, did he? He
> was asking if it should (could) count as ensemble credit instead of the
> students taking choir.

Dear Lynda,

To me, credit which does not apply to a specific requirement is worse than
none at all. It means one less class I can take later, due to maximum unit
restrictions. Don't know how others feel about this, but I worked for a
living while an undergrad, and had to make every unit count. An opera with
lots of ensembles is obviously a much better choice (and more challenging)
for a future opera soloist. It's ridiculous that a student would be forced
to take chamber chorus instead due to unit/requirement concerns...

Tako

emusic.com