Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Alexa Wing" <alexawing@h...>
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  3:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits

I'm intellectually able to understand that I need to keep the
>throat open and relaxed, but when trying to sing softer than a mezzo-forte,
>tightening up is just what my particular instrument *does*. (This likely
>explains why I would get vocally tired quickly when I practice, but it
>doesn't explain why I don't when I perform.) Anybody have any insight or
>suggestions that could help this?

Hi Richard;

Knowing intellectually what's required isn't going to work for you unless
you have taught your vocal muscles to do what you want them to do. This
takes a LOT of training because a lot of the muscles in there are
involuntary and will continue to do what is a remembered muscular activity.
Working your voice in a new way seems to be what is needed. You should talk
to your teacher about this and maybe come up with a new approach to your
pianissimi.

Yours,

Alexa Wing