Vocalist.org archive

From:  Richard Barrett <richardtenor@e...>
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  12:20 am
Subject:  Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits

I'm a 23 year old lyric tenor. I'm noticing more and more that practicing
singing - i.e., in voice lessons, coaching sessions, practicing by myself,
etc. - makes me vocally tired fairly quickly, but when I sing onstage in
front of an audience, there's no problem, I've got stamina, range, and ring
to spare. Anybody able to relate to this and/or explain why this might be?
It's alternately frustrating and gratifying.

In addition, I'm noticing that I have two very frustrating bad habits. I
have not been taught them, in fact I've been taught to not do them, but
evidently what I've been taught to do doesn't totally connect with me,
otherwise I wouldn't do these things. 1) When attempting a decrescendo,
particularly on high notes, the method I'm instinctively using to
decrescendo is laryngeal tightening. 2) When stopping a tone, I do so
glottally, cutting it off with the throat rather than just stopping the
breath. The second one I know what to do about, and simply stopping the
breath is actually the easier way to do it, it's just going to take a lot of
practice to get used to doing it the "easier" way. The first one is stumping
me, however. I'm intellectually able to understand that I need to keep the
throat open and relaxed, but when trying to sing softer than a mezzo-forte,
tightening up is just what my particular instrument *does*. (This likely
explains why I would get vocally tired quickly when I practice, but it
doesn't explain why I don't when I perform.) Anybody have any insight or
suggestions that could help this?

Thanks,

Richard

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4450 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits Ciro   Wed  9/20/2000   5 KB
4452 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits RALUCOB@a...   Wed  9/20/2000   2 KB
4459 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits Alexa Wing   Wed  9/20/2000   3 KB
4467 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits John Alexander Blyth   Wed  9/20/2000   4 KB
4470 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits Lisa M Olson   Wed  9/20/2000   3 KB
4484 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits RALUCOB@a...   Thu  9/21/2000   2 KB
4571 Re: Practicing vs. Performing; bad habits Caio Rossi   Sun  9/24/2000   2 KB

emusic.com