Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Wed Sep 20, 2000  12:29 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning a role pointers

>From: "Molly McLinden" <verdirules@h...>
>I was assigned the mother in "Hansel and Gretel", and it looks difficult,
>entrance-wise, interval-wise, etc.

Take it from the Mother in Bay Shore Lyric Opera's "Hansel and Gretel": It
IS difficult! But not impossible, and worth the effort.

Anyone have good hints on how best to
>effectively prepare a role? My piano skills are not too
>great,either..though
>I DO try.

Can you count? Can you at least pick out a tune on the piano? Then it's
learnable. (I learned it under similar conditions.) Be quite strict with
yourself about the 6/8 etc. in Mother's aria. A recording will be helpful
for learning the ensemble sections, but if you can work as hard as you can
in the music rehearsals, and possibly work with the accompanist and the
other performers on the music, that will be even better.

No way around it. The only way to learn this is practice, practice,
practice. But the music uses a fair number of leitmotifs; once you get the
general direction of the music you will learn it. Have fun, and make it
real. You'll do fine.

Elizabeth Finkler
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

"Quitters never win. Winners never quit. But those who never win and never
quit are just plain stupid." --anonymousse