Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Tue Sep 19, 2000  9:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] learning a role pointers

Care about it enough! Seems dumb, but it's going to be purgatory unless you
can convince yourself that every little bit of it is worth your attention.
The best situation is where you have time to drill the scenes with someone
as drama first, so you get the words down, and so you can be sure *why* the
character would say what she's saying. I presume you're doing it in
English, but if you're doing it in the original you'll have to look up
every word, perhaps repeatedly, for nuances of meaning, so that you
understand what you're doing. The sooner you can get some kind of blocking
on your pages the easier it will be to associate certain words with certain
locations and actions. I imagine that if there is a deadline you might want
to sing along with a recording, though it would be good to know in advance
what cuts, if any, are likely. But you must care about it, rather than
seeing it as a stepping-stone to something else! Not that you would! john

At 06:23 PM 9/18/00 -0500, you wrote:

>I'll be honest,
>
>my musicianship skills leave a LOT to be desired and I need to work hard!
>
>I was assigned the mother in "Hansel and Gretel", and it looks difficult,
>entrance-wise, interval-wise, etc. Anyone have good hints on how best to
>effectively prepare a role? My piano skills are not too great,either..though
>I DO try.
>
>Thanks!
>
>Molly

John Blyth