Vocalist.org archive

From:  "gwyee@r..." <>
Date:  Tue Sep 19, 2000  6:34 pm
Subject:  Re: Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: glides, sirens, or whatever they're called

>In a message dated 9/18/00 10:18:17 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>caioross@z... writes:
><< My teacher usually does the following: Fundamental+3rd+5th+8th and all
> combinations possible( Fundamental+5+3+8,
> Fund+8+5...,3+Fundamental+5+8... ). I'd never had a teacher who does
that.

dorisopran@a... replies:
> My teacher did that as well, Caio. then I used them when I taught. They
are
>great for focussing, adjusting vowels, and warming up. You start with
the
>smaller intervals and work up toward the octave.

My first teacher used the tonic scale up from Fundamental-->10, then
dominant scale down; increasing by semi-tones until things started to get
strained, then decreasing and re-ascending later. She varied the vowel
starting with "a", then to "o" with "a" on top, then to "o" throughout,
then to "o" with "e" on top, then "e" throughout, etc.

My current teacher seems to prefer the "full frontal assault" method of
glissando from Fundamental-->9 and back on "o", then "e", (or "a" if I
mess it up., etc; and also increasing by semi-tones. For me, this latter
method is a bit harder on the ears; but, like the first method, once I get
over the angst, I'll hopefully like it, too. For right now,
though...ughhhh!!

GWendel

emusic.com