Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Mon Sep 18, 2000  2:59 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Singer wannabe [long]

Okay, here's a related question. I can sing for a long time in my voice
range, controlling my own "dynamics" but when I'm in a choral situation
in which I cannot sing full voice (because I'll outsing most of the
soprano section) I get sore & tired & lose some pitches in my middle
range (C-D an octave above middle C usually).

Any comments or suggestions? I haven't really discussed this with my
voice teacher for a number of reasons (including a strained friendship
between her & one of the conductors that I sing under!).

Pat Smith

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 21:27:37 -0700 Craig Tompkins
<craigtompkins@t...> writes:

> > I resumed singing in our church choir about 5 years ago (was a
> choral tenor
> > during high school and college years) Started as a bass because at
the time it
> seemed less
> > "exposed". However, it wasn't long before I noticed that after
> every service,
> > and choir practice, my throat was a little sore, and my voice
> seemed "foggy".
> snip
>
> > When I complained about still feeling sore after singing bass (by
> > now I was in a respectable community choir), she told me I could
> learn to
> > sing bass without becoming sore. I found my ear would automatically
cause me to try to
> match
> snip
>
>snip