Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
Date:  Sun Sep 17, 2000  6:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Camerata's Rep. (was singer wannabe)

At 09:27 PM 9/16/00 -0700, craigtompkins@t... wrote:

>What rep. is your chorus working on?>

I'm currently singing with "Camerata Singers of Monterey". The historical
repertoire is quite varied (cf www.camerata-singers.org/). In our last
concert, the feature piece was the Brahm's "Requiem". This fall, we are
working on Bach's "Wachet auf..", "Ave Maris Stella" (Kverno), "Betelehemu"
sung in Nigerian (Olatunji & Whalum), "In Festo Natalis Domini" (Victoria),
"Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis" (Weelkes), "Masters in this Hall" (Parker,
Shaw), "In dulci jubilo" (Praetorius), "Al Hanissim" (Levine), et al, etc.

So far, with only two rehearsals, we've not gotten through all of the
material. But John Koza, our director has a great sense of program and
leads us through learning the pieces in a timely fashion, so I'm not worried
(yet).

The issue of choral blending is IMO a real challenge. My ear seems to cause
me to automatically (ie, beyond my actual control) try to match timbre.
John says I blend well even when I think I may be "sticking out". But
then, he positions us within our sections to "tone balance" us. When I get
to do a solo, I don't seem to have problems letting the "fur fly"/giving the
voice a brighter presence/bite. I wonder how other choral singers handle
blending. Are there choral directors on the list who "tone balance" their
singers?

GWendel

emusic.com