Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Sun Sep 17, 2000  5:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Margaret Harrison wrote:
> I thought the list would be interested in the following article that
> appeared in the Washington Post a week ago about David Daniels, who
> recently appeared here in an art song recital. Singers might be
> particularly interested in his and his teacher's, George Shirley,
> comments about his vocal experience as a tenor vs a countertenor.

Speaking of [counter]tenors, I once asked Graham Sanders about his
experience of evolving from a countertenor to a heldentenor. He basically
said his countertenor voice was absolutely different from his tenor head
voice. He said his former countertenoring was, if anything, actually
something of a liability once it was time for him to develop his upper
tenor range.

Now, I have no idea what he sounded like as a countertenor, so I can't say
if it was 1) falsetto, 2) reinforced falsetto, 3) a different kind of head
voice (like that of a mezzo) or what... So it's hard to say exactly what
the relevance to this discussion is, but it's an interesting perspective
of someone who actually went in the other direction of Daniels.

As for me, I can definitely say my two "head" voices are different. My
countertenor voice, however, actually has more of a dynamic range that my
tenor. (of course, that could be because I'm not meant to be a tenor and I
feel like I'm barely getting by when I'm singing tenor). So the idea that
"falsetto" has a limited (or no) dynamic range confuses issues for me...

-Tako

emusic.com