Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  11:14 pm
Subject:  Cornelius Reid

In a message dated 9/14/00 3:48:05 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
BLYTHE@B... writes:

<< our library has about five
books by Reid. >>

I had a friend who was an excellent lyric baritone and
studied with Cornelius Reid back in the mid sixties.
When people started flocking to Reid in droves,
Cornelius threw my friend out, even though he was
a longtime student and supposedly friend as well.
(I had met Reid at a social occaision at this friend's.)
I wish rather than throwing him out of his studio he
had convinced my friend to become a singer rather
than a choral conductor. My friend had a voice of
unique beauty. Hermann Prey comes to mind as
a reference for comparison. Trust me that he was
a phenominal singer and that I was completely
objective about him, as I knew he was a terrible
conductor. I've often wondered if the rift caused
because Reid tried to talk some sense into him,
or if Reid decided not to meddle in my friend's
decisions, or if he just decided he was expendable.
I believe when a teacher has a talented student, s/he
should advise and encourage as much as possible,
and discourage where appropriate.

emusic.com