Vocalist.org archive

From:  Takeshi Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  6:04 pm
Subject:  OFF: Stimulating Lactation WAS: Evil Nestle

PS: I just figured I'd be negligent not to mention there is another
hormone at work: prolactin. Wouldn't want my already tenous credibility to
be injured ;-)

I just happen to be very interested in oxytocin because it is the natural
form of pitocin, which I consider an over-(ab)used labor intervention in
hospital births. BUT that's a whole 'nother rant! ;-)

Oxytocin promotes lactation and a feeling of orgasmic euphoria, but is
also useful in helping the uterus clamp down (to prevent post-partum
hemorrhage). The synthetic version, pitocin, is often used to boost this
effect when there is excessive bleeding after the placenta appears.
OB/GYNSs also sometimes use it to kick-start contractions.

So prolactin is much more specific to the act of nursing... btw, both are
pituitary hormones, which means even adoptive moms who have lost their
ovaries for some reason can still potentially learn to nurse.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4336 OFF: Stimulating Lactation WAS: Evil Nestle Takeshi Oda   Thu  9/14/2000   2 KB

emusic.com