Vocalist.org archive

From:  buzzcen@a...
Date:  Thu Sep 14, 2000  3:10 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] MED: Sandy Cords

In a message dated 9/14/00 8:47:05 AM Central Daylight Time,
ibracamonte@y... writes:

<< A week of silence -- although it might
drive you batty -- certainly can't hurt. >>

A week of silence in certain instances can hurt, especially if the problem is
a one in which the closed cycle is not sufficient enough in length and degree
of medial compression.

I witnessed and exam where a girl (who had nodules removed before) was sent
to someone who billed themselves as a "voice therapist" (not a SLP). The
poor girl was told to not speak or sing for an entire month. Upon
Stroboscopic examination the problem was shown to be one of faulty posturing
of the folds. Of course the month of silence only exacerbated the problem.
Being familiar with her teacher, a real top down operaphile who avoided chest
voice, I was not surprised at all by this. I was dismayed that the "voice
therapist" would prescribe vocal rest before the exam was done. SLPs usually
do not take therapeutic action until they have an exam done. It is the only
way to know what is the best course to take.

Randy Buescher

emusic.com