Vocalist.org archive

From:  LMorgan923@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 13, 2000  6:11 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Vegetarianism and Allergies (and: Finding Balance)

In a message dated 9/13/2000 10:56:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sandra@i... writes:

<< She said that many persons are not completely lactose intolerant-they are
lactose intolerant with cows milk, but can digest goat milk just fine. She
said it makes sense when you consider that cows milk is designed for a baby
of 80 to 100 lbs with multiple stomachs, whereas a human baby is maybe 5 to
15 lbs. A baby goat weights 4 to 6 lbs at birth (my guess from holding them)
and would be much
more compatible to a human baby. >>

I have a friend who has lupus. If she eats or drinks anything with cow's
milk in it, it almost cripples her. But she can eat goat's milk with no
problem at all.
I just finished reading a really interesting book called "Woman: An
Intimate Geography," which is written by a woman who covers biology for the
New York Times. Among the many interesting things she has to say, she writes
about the differences between cow's milk and human milk and peripherally
about the milk of other mammals. She said that the composition of milk for a
particular mammal has to do with the rate at which the baby grows among other
things. Cow's milk is much higher in fat than human milk, which is very high
in sugars. (I'm hoping I remember this right.) It's an interesting book.

Lee Morgan
Mezzo-soprano

emusic.com