Vocalist.org archive

From:  "saint james" <stjames@l...>
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  5:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Speaking voice when teaching

>I have noticed the past couple of weeks that my voice is horse after a
heavy
>teaching day. To keep the energy of my students up I think I go to far
with
>my enthusiasm and misuse my voice. I am not AT ALL aware of this when I am
>doing it, but sure feel the effects later.

James here.....

This is common in singers; often the speaking voice is not as well produced
as the singing one. Speech therapy is very effective for this. I was really
surprised at some of the things I as doing while speaking, things like the
cords hitting each other, wrong pitch (I was speaking too low) and forcing
to be heard instead of using ring and good breath support. I developed these
habits while doing commercial announcing and voice overs. It only took a few
sessions to make me aware of what was going on and apply what I did
automatically as a singer to my spoken voice. Maybe you could record part of
a day and listen to what is happening while you are speaking.

James

emusic.com