Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Rachel Hughes" <despina@p...>
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  3:04 am
Subject:  Fw: [vocalist-temporary] Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - long

Lisa Olson wrote:

>I have to say I LOVE leaving work at 4:30, but I find that I don't have the
energy to practice after 8 >hours of sitting at a computer every day.

Lisa-Marie,

I used to have this problem too -- I also sit at a desk all day long, mostly
staring at a computer screen. Earlier this year I made a resolution to
REALLY pay attention to my posture and breathing ALL THE TIME, not just
while singing. And it's made a huge difference!

While at work, I'm constantly reminding myself to maintain a healthy
posture -- while standing, sitting, walking down the hall, etc. In addition,
every hour or so I take a break for some good singer-breathing -- nice
healthy inhale, slow exhale on FFF, SSS or Shhh -- or silently, if
necessary (I've actually done this during meetings and no one noticed!). And
I'm not nearly as exhausted at the end of the day.

Plus, since I've been doing breath warm-ups throughout the day, it doesn't
take me nearly as long to warm up in the evenings when I do practice.

Hope this helps!

Rachel

emusic.com