Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Tue Sep 12, 2000  1:49 am
Subject:  [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

Dear Michael and Vocalisters:

The passaggio for male voices is the same as their middle range.
Miller supports this terminology. For the tenor is is generally from
about D4 to G4, give or take a few notes adjustment, For baritone
Bb3 to E4, Bass Ab3 to C#4, etc. These are general and there are
individual differences.

The soprano middle voice begins at about Eb4 and ends about an octave
higher at Eb5. Again individual differences. This middle voice can
have short passaggio zones at both the high and low ends of this
range. Miller also points out that is often helpful to speak of a
low middle and a high middle range.

Vocal fold function is similar between men's and women's voices in
their middle ranges but, men's voices are under greater comparative
longitudinal tension in their middle voice (passaggio) than are
women's voices. This difference in longitudinal tension accounts for
the differences in vocal color.

However, vocal function is the determiner of teaching method, not the
tone quality that is created.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy