Vocalist.org archive

From:  Trevor Allen <trevorjamesallen@y...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  10:26 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Help! I need an opera scene! Fast!!!

Hi Linda,
While we are not allowed to sing translations right
now, my college is doing a production of the Magic
Flute, in English- the 1951 Shirmer translation, which
to me isn't great, but I haven't seen any others. I
think our prof just didn't want us doing music we
might potentially encounter next semester. Thanks
for you comment though. I myself am I big fan of
translations. My first opera was a translated version
of Madame Butterfly and it was one of the biggest
influences in making me become a singer. In my
opinion music is music and as long as the text is
suitable to the original libretto, I say, TRANSLATE
AWAY!