Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lisa M Olson" <lisa_molson@m...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  4:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - long

Thanks Vicki for bringing up a really important point.

I have found this same problem (although, since I'm still trying to get myself
established in this city, I don't have so many students.) But I (as we all do)
need to pay rent, need to pay Student Loans, need to pay credit cards and phone
bills, so I work at a temp job 8 hours a day. When I first took this job, it
was with the understanding that I wouldn't come in until 10:00am so I could
practice in the mornings.

Now, I have agreed to come in at 8:00 for a period of time to finish up a
project. I have to say I LOVE leaving work at 4:30, but I find that I don't
have the energy to practice after 8 hours of sitting at a computer every day.
(It isn't a lot of work, but it is BORING - kind of like driving for 8 hours at
a time when you find you are really tired.) Then I'm also trying to work-out 3
times a week (because it has helped my singing). My teacher only comes into
the city 1 day a week, so I can't have more lessons than I do.

The good news is that despite all of this, I'm still making leaps and bounds of
progress vocally. But, I always feel cheated on Monday when I have to get back
into this routine. I spend a lot of time on the week-ends practicing and
concentrating on music. So, my question is ... how do all of you handle the
time issue in the real world. Should I just keep buying lottery tickets and
hope for the best?

Thanks!

Lisa-Marie
---