Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mike & Vicki Bryant <mbryant@f...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  4:09 pm
Subject:  Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - long

Christine Thomas wrote:
vtec> In a dream world, that would be wonderful. I teach voice and discovered
that
vtec> for the market I'm tarketing - high school kids and adult beginners -
they
vtec> don't want (and don't have the time, more so than money) to invest in
vtec> anything longer than a half hour. I think this may change -- right now I
vtec> have 3 one-hour students and 29 half-hours, and when I have openings
again,
vtec> I'm going to offer 45-60 minute lessons to my existing students instead
of
vtec> filling the open spots.

vtec> On the good side, I am now FULL! I have waiting lists at both my home and
vtec> outside studios; I teach Tuesdays-Fridays, and I'm sure if I wanted to
teach
vtec> weekends and late into the evening, I could fill up. But this is as much
as
vtec> I want to do ... and I'm loving it!

and Isabelle Bracamonte wrote:

vtec> So my advice, in a nutshell, is: Study as often as
vtec> you're possibly able to without getting tired or
vtec> becoming too poor, and specific concepts + dedicated
vtec> practice sessions = progress. An hour of mental
vtec> technical study a day, an hour of working on your
vtec> languages a day, some squeezed-in bits of piano
vtec> practice and dance/exercise, and you're golden. What,
vtec> a life? This is great art. We don't need lives.

Okay, you've both managed to touch on a subject that has been very
much on my mind the past two weeks - the balancing act, and what is
important. (Warning: this post will be a bit long).

I took the plunge this past July and began work on my master's degree
in Vocal Pedagogy. Taking a class in the summer was hard work, but I
had very little else going on, so it was manageable.

This fall, I registered for two classes, but just dropped one to
maintain my sanity. Here's why:

My teaching load looks amazingly like Chris's: I teach about 25 half
hour lessons (I say "about" because it's still early in the semester
and some changes may occur) and four 50-minute lessons each week. In
an ideal world, I would limit the days I teach, but because I'm taking
this class, which meets Mondays and Wednesday afternoons (during prime
teaching time - arghhh) and which is an hour's drive from my house, I
have to fit them where they fit. I also have a Sunday morning church
job with Thursday night rehearsals and I sing in a professional chorus
which has Tuesday night rehearsals. The singing jobs are all in
downtown Chicago, which is also an hour's drive from my house - in the
other direction! I also practice 45 minutes to an hour each day,
except for the day when I have a voice lesson, which usually runs over
an hour and sometimes comes close to 90 minutes. I do make use of my
time in the car - I'm either listening to music for my class (Operatic
Literature) or listening to language tapes. And, of course, I've got
to spend a few hours each week studying and doing research for papers.
I squeeze in practicing piano in between lessons or when someone
cancels (which is always at least once a week, if not more). I gave up
entirely trying to fit in a piano lesson - there's just no room!

I was very stressed out the first two weeks of class, and I realized
something had to give - hopefully, not me! I had to decide what was
really important and what could wait. I found that in an effort to do
well in two classes, I was cutting back on my practice time, and this
was definitely a problem. Singing is my first love; teaching is a
close second. My degree will be helpful for both, but is primarily
designed to help me be a better teacher. Plus, there is no rule that
says I have to complete my degree in x amount of time. (Actually, I
do have to finish in 6 years according to the school, but if it takes
6 years, I'll know I don't have my heart in it anyway!)

Taking the time to decide that singing comes first for me is helpful
in other respects. For example, if I have a conflict between a
performance and teaching, I will move the students' lessons. (As I
will have to do a few Saturdays from now). I don't have to second -
guess my decisions because I know what my standards are.

If you've read this far, I hope what I've said has helped you clarify
in your own mind where your priorities lie. By the way, I am married,
and I see my husband from time to time. ;) I have two cats...oh, and I've
been an Amway distributor for ten years and still place orders every week,
and I do all the books for both my businesses. Time is elastic, if you know
how to stretch it. We'll just see how elastic it is when it comes time
to start booking Christmas caroling jobs!

Best of luck to all the other time stretchers on the list, and thanks
for letting me talk.

Vicki Bryant, mezzo-soprano who usually doesn't post very long
messages
Naperville, IL

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4206 Re: Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - Lisa M Olson   Mon  9/11/2000   3 KB
4207 Re: Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - Connie1195@a...   Mon  9/11/2000   2 KB
4226 Re: Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - Mezzoid@a...   Mon  9/11/2000   3 KB
4238 Re: Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - LYNDA313@a...   Tue  9/12/2000   3 KB
4239 Re: Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - Mezzoid@a...   Tue  9/12/2000   2 KB
4277 Re: Finding balance (was Frequency of Lessons) - Elizabeth Finkler   Wed  9/13/2000   3 KB

emusic.com