Vocalist.org archive

From:  "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  2:36 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Practice

This year, I have given my students a chart to monitor their progress in practicing themselves.  They check off different categories of vocalises, depending on what they did in the practice room.  That way, I can monitor what they are doing every week, and so can they.  The categories I put on my list are:
1)General Warm-ups
2)Breathing Exercises
3)Focus, or Resonance
4)Range
5)Onset
6)Registration
7)Flexibility
8)Speaking a piece on the text
9)Singing a piece on a neutral vowel sound
10)Singing a piece ONLY on the vowels
11)Working on memory of a piece

I know there are probably many other categories I could have put in there, but it was already getting overwhelming to me.  I did make sure my students understood that I would never expect them to check ALL of the categories in one session.  We'll see if this is effective or not.

David Grogan
ETBU Music
Marshall, Texas

emusic.com