Vocalist.org archive

From:  Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
Date:  Mon Sep 11, 2000  4:23 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Frequency of Lessons

Whoops. Ignore that last whole lot o' nothing email I
just sent.

Don't get me wrong, I work a day job. That's why I
have no life. It's also relatively well-paid, and
it's about 3/4 time (30 hours a week), both of which
help.

I think that most students think that "practicing" is
running pleasantly through the songs they've worked on
during their lessons -- not paying attention to
technique, not stopping to fix notes that don't feel
right, just zipping through the rep for the sake of
singing the songs. That's useful for the very
beginning student whose desire and love of the art
form need to be fed, but it doesn't get much technical
work accomplished. I repeat: better to get through
ten bars in an hour and work them into your voice
correctly, than to "work" nothing while "running"
much.

Isabelle B.

=====
Isabelle Bracamonte