Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tiikeri" <tiikeri@s...>
Date:  Sun Sep 10, 2000  6:54 pm
Subject:  Shockheaded Peter - Martyn Jacques

Dear List,

I am positively amazed and want to share this feeling with you :)

I had a chance to see the "junk opera" Shockheaded Peter last Friday. I had
read lots of positive comments about the show but the performance was far
more better and moving than I had imagined.
Firstly, the puppets were touchingly "human". Secondly, Martin Jacques'
voice was extraordinary. It combined traditional operatic countertenor style
to unbelievable screaming, growling, hissing and ... do I need to continue?
When he sang "Flying Robert" in the end of the show his voice soaring to
unbelievable heights I almost cried because the contrast between that (in
that song) beautiful voice and those brutal fairy-tales was enormous.

I had a chance a change a couple of words with Mr Jacques right after the
show and I could't resist asking him how on earth he is able to keep his
voice in shape despite all that which I call "misuse". He just laughed and
told he has been singing like that for a long long time and there hasn't
been problems. I was left wondering, how much did he benefit from
microphones?

I'd love to read your comments.

best regards,

Marika
tiikeri@s...

p.s. The funny thing was that I was to sing in the church at my friend's
wedding on Saturday. While I was waiting for my cue, I kept on humming "Snip
snip" -tune from the show. It was a bit embarrassing but at least it
prevented me from crying so I managed to sing quite well.

emusic.com