Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Sun Sep 10, 2000  2:51 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Information on music

Dolphin aura wrote:

> I'm looking for information to study the charactor in
> some of my music,
> can anyone help me?
>
> My pieces are
> Le Violette, Alessandro Scarlatti
> In Waldeseinsamkeit, Johannes Brahms (Op. 85, No. 6)
>
> Where are these from? How can I find out information
> about the charactor singing? Things like Who is the
> charactor, who are other charactors, What is
> charactors societal role, and where and when does the
> story take place?
> Can anyone answer these for me or give me a jumping
> off point so I may find the info?

As to the Scarlatti, which is found in the famouse 24 Italian Songs collection,
if you can
get hold of the recent Schirmer edition, edited by Paton, is has all the
background you'll
want.

As to the Brahms, its a German lied, so the text is poetry, and there are
probably no
"characters" other than what your imagination would suggest. Aside from
interpreting the
poem yourself (which shouldn't be difficult, as Brahms didn't set subtle
poetry), you can
go to a good music library and look at some books on German art song or a
"companion" to
art song book, and if you're lucky, that song will be there. Another way to do
it is to
find a recording by a famous singer, and the liner notes should have some
information
about the song as well. Another source is the New Groves Dictionary of Music
for its
article on Brahms - he wrote a lot of songs, so there's not a great chance it's
there, but
there's no harm in looking. Another source would be a biography of Brahms, or
other books
on Brahms' music that a good library might have. If you're at a university,
you reference
librarian should be able to provide more suggestions (e.g., journal articles,
etc.).

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...