Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 9, 2000  3:40 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Frequency of Lessons

sandra@i... writes:

<< I think one lesson a week might suffice if I
were further along with a more solid technique, but in the beginning, for me
at
least, it gives me too much time to flounder on my own. I have seen a
pattern in
myself of the first several days of practice after a lesson being fine, then
towards the end of the week I start adding my own twists and turns and the
practice session becomes less effective. >>

Sandra,
This comment gave me this thought-do you tape your lessons? I am a lot like
you in that I am fairly new to this and have the tendency also to "drive my
voice into the ground" by going into overdrive while practicing. This
tendency contributed in part to my having to have voice surgery almost 2
years ago. I agree that more than one lesson a week would be wonderful, but
not many of us can afford to do that. I find that taping my lessons keeps me
on track-I listen to my tape in the car during the week while I am running
around, it is amazing how much you miss in a lesson that you cue in on when
you hear your tape, and also how much you absorb just from listening. Then
when I practice I remember much more about where I am and what I need to do.
My first teacher didn't tape lessons and I would leave there and not be able
to remember as much as I wanted to, but this one has a great setup for
recording and I find it to be most helpful.

Best Luck,
Leslie

emusic.com