Vocalist.org archive

From:  Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>
Date:  Sat Sep 9, 2000  9:04 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] female falsetto/Migenes

RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> michael,
>
> if you haven't already, you should check out julia migenes' 'smile'.
> it is a collection of songs from movies ranging from 'casablanca' to 'atomic
> cafe'. there are some extremes that she goes to that just make me smile
> (ugh, sorry). given your wish for, i think, all music to be an extension of
> speech (my essential philosophy of singing as well), i'd be curious to know
> what you think of it...

Hello,

"Another Michael" chiming in here - For the most part, I love this cd. I think
this all gets down to personal taste... The only song I really hate is the one
in a kind of "traditional jazz/dixieland blues" style - Sorry, I don't have the
cd in my house at the moment, so I don't recall the title of this particular
song... On this tune, she kind of sounds like a really bad imitation of Bessie
Smith or some such... I wonder if that's one of the songs to which you are
referring. But the rest of the cd I like very much, especially the contemporary
pop ballads she does - "Calling You", which I believe is from "Bagdad (not
"atomic") Cafe" - by the way, a "way cool" very quirky movie with Jack Palance
and other "interesting" cast... Similarly I also like the Bryan Adams tune,
"Everything I Do" - wonderful "floaty pop" stuff - most definitely not "an opera
singer trying to sing pop"... - I love all the Michael Kamen arrangements - if
only I could afford to make similar kind of cd...:o( And she can do her
"Carmen"
for me anytime...:o)

Michael

Michael Eckford <michaelb@y...>