Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  9:52 pm
Subject:  Re: Would-be tenor help

"David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...> wrote:
> My first impression was that this was an extremely
lyric tenor voice, almost like an Irish tenor. When we began working
today, however, it became apparent that he could not crescendo one
whit on his high notes.

Perhaps a haute contre? Hautes contre would otherwise be tenors or
lyric baritones, but they have a natural ability to go right into
"voix mixte" without a break. We've just been talking about this
whole
upper register thing on vocalist. Voix mixte is is more like a
woman's head voice, rather than like a full-voiced tenor's.

They are fairly rare, and he might have a nice career ahead of him if
he develops it (Bach evangelists, Carmina Burana, barbershop). This
business of his not being able to sing above D4 with breath pressure
reminds me of a story of the young Russell Oberlin. Once he learned
keep the support going into the higher notes, his tenor extended
clear
up to an F5!

The reason for the sudden break now at D4 may be due to the
introduction of support to the bottom voice, all the while he still
doesn't know how to do it to his upper notes. So of course there will
be a break. Before, neither register was supported, hence the easy
transition.

As the top grows stronger, he may be able to bridge the two again,
but
this time with support. If he learns to maintain the space of the
lower voice in the upper, he may learn to keep his larynx in a
natural
position which will ultimately give him dynamic control and
allow him to regain his seamless transition.

Of course, this may not be meant to be. Maybe he is destined to be a
lovely lyric baritone or a tenor. Who knows? I just wouldn't rule
anything out.

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4198 Re: Would-be tenor help Karen Mercedes   Mon  9/11/2000   2 KB
4217 Re: Would-be tenor help Tako Oda   Mon  9/11/2000   4 KB

emusic.com