Vocalist.org archive

From:  dorisopran@a...
Date:  Fri Sep 8, 2000  6:56 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Information on music

dolphin_aura@y... writes:

<<
My pieces are
Le Violette, Alessandro Scarlatti
In Waldeseinsamkeit, Johannes Brahms (Op. 85, No. 6)

Where are these from? How can I find out information
about the charactor singing? Things like Who is the
charactor, who are other charactors, What is
charactors societal role, and where and when does the
story take place? >>

In the case of the Brahms, I believe it is a lied, or art song,
a setting of a poem. By the title, you know that it is about
being alone in the woods. I checked my Penguin Book
of Lieder, and it's not there, so you need a good translation
of the poem from some source. Then the character you
portray is the poet.

In the case of the Scarlatti, even though it might be from
an opera, I would approch it the same way, via the poem,
the significance of the flower to the lover who compares
his love with the violet and asks it to be his messenger
of love.

In short, for songs without the context of an opera, glean
what you need in the way of other characters and setting
from the text your are singing.

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4114 Information on music: Le Violette Robert Harris   Fri  9/8/2000   2 KB

emusic.com