Vocalist.org archive

From:  Dean FH Macy <deanmacy@m...>
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  9:35 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: glides, sirens, or whatever they're called

Vicki Bryant wrote:

> to what mike wrote:
>
> vtec> i am curious to know how many of you have ever worked on singing a
> vtec> 'glide' from lowest to highest or, vice versa, in your range with no
breaks
> vtec> at a constant volume.
>
> I use these all the time, both for myself and with my voice students. They
are a
> marvelous tool for blending registers. Most people find going down in pitch
easier
> than going up; it's useful to learn to do both, and also to do them both
slowly
> and quickly.

My kids do this also but they find going down smoothly much more difficult than
going
up. It's also a good tool for letting them know where to "shift gears". I also
make
sure the ends are not heavy as the kids have a tendency for this. Of course
when
they begin this exercise I am always asked, "I thought you said I couldn't
slide. Now
you want me to do this?"

--
Dean FH Macy, Lit.D./Mus.D.
"Specializing in Management of exceptionally talented youth in Music"

emusic.com