Vocalist.org archive

From:  Ian Belsey <Idbelsey@y...>
Date:  Thu Sep 7, 2000  1:45 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] wobbles and chest

Darling Isabelle (if I may be so bold?!?)

What's going on? I understand what you're trying to
say, but here we go. . . It's the old story of the
singer who becomes a teacher for no other reason than
perhaps the work's drying up! I don't assume that's
you by-the-way!

It's no good talking about core in the voice without
some sort of back up to what you're talking about that
is comprehensive. Core can mean lots of different
things to different people.

Sorry if that disappoints. All the great singers on
record, from Melba and Caruso, up to Marilyn Horne,
Sutherland, Gruberova (if you want to do girls),
especially had a great core, or focus, but it was
always predominatly a head tone brought down through
the range of the right sort!

Now I ask, what does that mean?

Well, the focussed voices you hear are top heavy, not
the other way around. If you think that for one
moment, you must re-assess what you hear, or think you
hear!

This list is so useful and so wonderful. Only now and
then do I get incensed by absolute silliness!

All listers, remember this and take note.

Singing is easy! I'm not being flippant: it really is.
Any singing teacher/coach who tells you otherwise, is
either balmy or a charlatan. In other words, you must
bow down to their wishes! yeah! Right!

If you're finding it hard, you're doing it wrong!

Melba said in her treatise: Easy singing is good
singing. Difficult singing is bad! No more, no less.

It might do everybody good to take stock of what they
do.

Do you like the sound you make?
Do others like it too?

If you can say yes to these two things, get cracking,
learn some decent tunes and sell'em! It really is as
easy as that! Teachers who waffle on about support
(whatever that is: I'd love to know!) have no idea
what it feels like to stand in the middle of the Royal
Albert Hall, and think, O my God! How do I fill this?
Well, you do, 'coz all the technique or whatever over
the years gets you through it! O, and by the way, I
had to have great squillo to do that Isabelle!

You'll find you enjoy it less if you analyze!

Best wishes,

Ian, Very great voice wrecker to the stars (it seems!)