Vocalist.org archive

From:  Patricia M Smith <dgcsorcmgr@j...>
Date:  Wed Sep 6, 2000  4:15 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] question

Stephanie's question leads me back to my own question of 8/22, which no
one has addressed yet:

How do voice teachers, music directors, etc. determine what voice part a
singer actually is? Someone told me once that the decision is not just
based on range but that other factors play a part. Unfortunately, they
never elaborated much further than saying it has to do with "color" or
"timbre" (sp?) of the voice.

Once again I ask: Can someone shed some light on all of this for me?

Thanks!
Pat Smith