Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Wed Sep 6, 2000  3:26 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Rib Cage Expansion

In a message dated 9/4/00 11:49:02 PM Central Daylight Time,
lloyd.hanson@n... writes:

<< In addition there should be no inward movement of
the epigastric area (that area between the bottom of the sternum and the
navel and laterally to the ribs) during the singing tone except at the end
of an extremely long phrase. >>

OK, I understand this-but what about the lower abs? Between the navel and
the pubic bone-these are the muscles that I have been taught to use ,
especially in the upper range or when a note needs more support. Doesn't the
ribcage expansion help keep the diaphragm down and the up&in motion of the
lower abs create the "vocal struggle" I read about? I just have to use my
lower abs..........is this ok?
Thanks,
Leslie

emusic.com