Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Lloyd W. Hanson" <lloyd.hanson@n...>
Date:  Wed Sep 6, 2000  12:43 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

Dear Linda:

You asked:
>So if the muscular portion, along for the ride, decides to disembark,
>what do you call it then, please? Isn't that "pure" head voice?

There is no way in which the muscular portion of the vocal fold can
no longer be a part of the vocal fold, thus it cannot disembark.

What I was attempting to describe was the actual function of the
vocal folds during and between register changes. Register changes
are very real and are both physical and acoustic in nature, that is,
the acoustic characteristics of the standing waves in the vocal tract
have an effect on the vocal folds mode of oscillation. We experience
this effect as a changing of the location of the passaggi up and down
about a minor third with the changing of vowels. You can check this
by singing a scale passage into the passaggio on [a] and on [i]. The
register change points usually will be a minor third lower for the
[i] vowel than that found for the [a] vowel.

--
Lloyd W. Hanson, DMA
Professor of Voice, Pedagogy

emusic.com