Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Sep 5, 2000  6:41 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] countertenor vs contralto voice?

On Sun, 3 Sep 2000 Mike wrote to Sungil:
> i was just wondering about spectrographs (sp?) of david daniels and
> marilyn horne, in particular. i have played daniels' version of 'ombra mai
> fu' to various students. i ask them what they think, without telling them
> it's a guy, and they all start "she sounds...".
>
> i don't know if you saw his post on the subject but, tako was wondering
> if the vocal fold behavior was the same for this type of male falsetto and
> the female head voice.

If we could get our hands on decent equipment, I think we should do this
for some countertenors and mezzos on our list. We can set some
parameters, ie:

1) sing specific notes in specific registers at a certain dynamic
2) no other sound from pianos, orchestras, etc.

Then we can post them to our egroups site, which I believe has some web
space. The only limitation is that everyone will be recording in a
different space with different equipment, since we're far from each
other...

Tako

emusic.com