Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Mon Sep 4, 2000  11:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognition

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tak Oda" <toda@m...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@egroups.com>
Sent: 02 September 2000 00:36
Subject: [vocalist-temporary] Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto
Recognition

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2000, Ciro replied to me:
> > >To my ear, he is singing in a "feminine mode" head voice above G4 as
> > >opposed to what Pavarotti does. Still, it is clearly not falsetto, as
it
> > >is a vibrant, flexibly-colored tone.
> >
> > Unless I am absolutely deaf and dumb, that is falsetto on my book
> > yes, very good falsetto singing, but falsetto nonetheless.
>
> See, but that's the whole point... if what he does is falsetto, then what
> we call a woman's head voice is also. It has a singers' formant, and has a
> lot of color and dynamism. What some of are trying to say is this register
> is distinct from falsetto, while also being distinct from Pavarotti's high
> C (also sometimes referred to as head voice).

I listened to the clip and agree that it is not falsetto. It sounds to my
ear much like the upper register of the English tenor John Potter (of
Hilliard Ensemble fame). Also like some of the work of Philip Salmon.

> A messa di voce (sic?) should be impossible in the upper half of my range
> if it is truly falsetto. I hope to put up another short clip soon... :)

I await with interest.

> Tako

Colin Reed, tenor

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
4001 Re: Source of frequencies was:Falsetto Recognitio Tako Oda   Tue  9/5/2000   2 KB

emusic.com