Vocalist.org archive

From:  mikebarb@n...
Date:  Mon Sep 4, 2000  3:18 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Rosa Ponselle and portamento

> This afternoon on UK radio there were two recordings of Rosa Ponselle,
> singing Voi Che Sapete and An Die Musik. Since I don't recall ever
> really listening to her before (though I have probably heard her, not
> quite the same thing!) I was wondering what other Vocalisters thought of
> her sound and her style.

I was under the impression that it is her voice, more than her style that
set Ponselle apart from just about everyone. Rosa Ponselle is the youngest
singer (21) that I can name that sang a substantial role in a major opera
house (Verdi's La Forza Del Destino at the Met.) She had relatively little
formal training, but she had this naturally very rich, dark , large voice.
Many professionals were in awe of her voice. I remember reading (on
Opera-L?) about a poll given to other contemporary operatic sopranos about
which soprano they most admire, and Ponselle was the clear winner.

Barbara Roberts
Miami, FL

emusic.com