Vocalist.org archive

From:  Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...>
Date:  Mon Sep 4, 2000  3:05 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Neil Shicoff!

On Fri, 1 Sep 2000 RALUCOB@a... wrote:

> hey! wouldn't it be fun to hear him do walther von stolzing or lohengrin?
>
> mike

I'm not sure about that. One thing I admire about Shicoff is that he's
very realistic about his voice. Despite LONGING to sing Hermann in PIQUE
DAME for many years now, he has also long recognised that the role is
really too big for his voice (which is a lyric tenor he has developed into
a spinto). He is being very cautious about how he gradually develops it
to take on heavier repertoire. The next roles he's talked about learning
are both Bel Canto - Raoul de Nangis in HUGUENOTS and Poliuto - and he
still has to reschedule his role debut as Chenier. Beyond that, he's
spoken of Puccini's Des Grieux and possibly Canio someday. He once said,
when asked about German repertoire, that there was very little appropriate
to his voice.

The other reason I don't think you'd ever hear him do those particular
Wagner roles is that, character-wise, they aren't very interesting.
Shicoff likes to play characters who are tormented somehow - either by
external circumstances or by internal demons (neuroses, etc.). As much as
I love LOHENGRIN, the title character, you must admit, is a bit of a
two-dimensional super-hero type. And von Stolzing is rather hopelessly
well-adjusted.

KM
-----
Ich sage euch: man muss noch Chaos in sich haben,
um einen tanzenden Stern gebaeren zu koennen.
- Friedrich Nietzsche, ALSO SPRACH ZARATHUSTRA

My NEIL SHICOFF Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/shicoff/shicoff.html

My Website:
http://www.radix.net/~dalila/index.html