Vocalist.org archive

From:  Linda Fox <linda@f...>
Date:  Mon Sep 4, 2000  7:44 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Rosa Ponselle and portamento

Mezzoid@a... wrote:

> Well, she said, "voi CHE sapete" instead of "voi LO sapete." If in fact, it
> was the former, then verismo style simply would be wrong! If it was the Cav
> aria, well, as Emily Litella would say, "Oh, that's entirely different.
> Never mind."

Yes, it was Voi CHE Sapete, Cherubino's aria from Figaro - interesting
that the change of small word would make the style of singing so much
more or less appropriate! But this was definitely the Mozart.

I heard several recent recordings of Casta Diva, in several of which the
repeated top As were all given a portamento, which. again, I found
really rather unpleasant; I then acquired a cheap recording of Callas in
Norma. My CD is still packed away (I'm in process of moving house, very,
very slowly!) and by contrast, the repeated notes - I'm doing this from
memory - were pretty well straight on.

There are parallels with other instruments, actually, particularly the
violin: older recordings use far more swoops and scoops all over the
place, both in music which was contemporary at the time and in older
styles, so I think that suggests that changing taste must have some
input here too.

How do you feel about hearing it is older Music Theatre songs?
--
Linda Fox

emusic.com