Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Sung-il Cho" <colorofspring@h...>
Date:  Sun Sep 3, 2000  5:24 am
Subject:  countertenor vs contralto voice?

Hi folks,

I guess I haven't posted to this temporary list...
I'm just reading a little story about the beginnings of modern
countertenors... which says
"Alfred Deller (in 1940s) demonstrated how the alto parts in the works of
Bach and Handel, customarily given to rich-voiced female contraltos, would
sound when sung by the more ethereal countertenor."

This makes me wonder if anybody has studied the spectrograms of
countertenors vs. contraltos to see what the differences are...
To my ears, countertenors sound warmer and darker
and more soothing without the "steel"
present in typical female singers, but some countertenors like
David Daniels often sound to me almost indistinguishable
from female voice.

I guess there are now people quite experienced in using the
spectrogram software, so I'd like to hear from them if there's
anything standing out if the recordings are compared.
I'd greatly appreciate any input.

Best,
Sungil

3941 Re: countertenor vs contralto voice? RALUCOB@a...   Sun  9/3/2000   2 KB
4000 Re: countertenor vs contralto voice? Tako Oda   Tue  9/5/2000   2 KB
4056 Re: countertenor vs contralto voice? Sung-il Cho   Thu  9/7/2000   2 KB
4064 Re: countertenor vs contralto voice? Tako Oda   Thu  9/7/2000   2 KB
4065 Re: countertenor vs contralto voice? Tako Oda   Thu  9/7/2000   2 KB
4158 Re: countertenor vs contralto voice? Sung-il Cho   Sat  9/9/2000   2 KB

emusic.com