Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 2, 2000  12:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Rib Cage Expansion

In a message dated 09/01/2000 6:29:50 PM Central Daylight Time,
leskayc@a... writes:

<< Also, I am reading Miller's book on training sopranos. My teacher (who
has a student at the Met right now....) teaches ribcage expansion and the
use of the lower abdominal muscles. Somehow, I feel it helps keep my ribs up
and open when I "tuck in" my lower abs. I had the picture that the "lotta
vocale" was the balance between the ribcage keeping the diaphragm flat and
low and the abs gently pushing it up. This is not in keeping with Miller's
"appoggio," which, to my understanding requires an expanded ribcage and no
conscious abdominal muscle involvement. I am really confused. >>

I switched my focus in teaching and singing from the lower abs to the
expanded rib cage after attending Miller's workshop in 1999. It has made a
world of difference to me and to my students.

Your ribcage will go in ... to maintain a stiffly-held position of openness
really is not what appoggio is all about. That was what I THOUGHT appoggio
entailed, and that is why I resisted it for as long as I did. However,
Miller's explanation of "maintaining the posture of inhalation" does not mean
that it never goes down, but that the ribcage does not collapse and that any
inward motion is gradual. It made complete sense to me when he explained it
... the vocal pedagogue who had explained to me in a class earlier (where and
when will remain a mystery to protect the innocent - ME!) made it sound
really contrived.

Christine Thomas, Mezzo Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"Humility is the acceptance of the possibility that someone else can teach
you something else you do not know already, especially about yourself.
Conversely, pride and arrogance close the door of the mind."
-- Arthur Deikman, The Observing Self

emusic.com