Vocalist.org archive

From:  leskayc@a...
Date:  Sat Sep 2, 2000  12:29 am
Subject:  Rib Cage Expansion

Dear List,
I am having trouble keeping my rib cage expanded. My inhalation is good-I
get good lateral expansion of the ribs. However, they tend to go down a
little (not really too much) at the onset of tone. I try not to "stuff" my
lungs. Any suggestions/exercises that would be helpful here?

Also, I am reading Miller's book on training sopranos. My teacher (who has a
student at the Met right now....) teaches ribcage expansion and the use of
the lower abdominal muscles. Somehow, I feel it helps keep my ribs up and
open when I "tuck in" my lower abs. I had the picture that the "lotta
vocale" was the balance between the ribcage keeping the diaphragm flat and
low and the abs gently pushing it up. This is not in keeping with Miller's
"appoggio," which, to my understanding requires an expanded ribcage and no
conscious abdominal muscle involvement. I am really confused.

Let me add that my teacher has been teaching for 40 years, studied with
Virginia Zeani, has a splendid spinto voice and fabulous breath control.

Any comments?
Leslie

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
3899 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Mezzoid@a...   Sat  9/2/2000   3 KB
3903 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Ian Belsey   Sat  9/2/2000   3 KB
3920 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Reg Boyle   Sat  9/2/2000   2 KB
3980 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Lloyd W. Hanson   Tue  9/5/2000   2 KB
3904 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Ian Belsey   Sat  9/2/2000   2 KB
3909 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Cynthia Donnell   Sat  9/2/2000   5 KB
3930 Re: Rib Cage Expansion sopran@a...   Sat  9/2/2000   2 KB
3937 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Ian Belsey   Sun  9/3/2000   2 KB
3950 Re: Rib Cage Expansion Kevin Hollis   Mon  9/4/2000   4 KB

emusic.com